Thoughts, jokes, and political commentary from a sardonic, outspoken, fun loving, sassy,
30 something female.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Elusive Branch?

Posted by Sassy
Now, I've readily admitted that my acquisition of political savvy is fairly recent, but the headlines from today leave me scratching my head thinking that perhaps I've misunderstood our basic governmental infrastructure.

Democrats Hammered for 'Back-Room' Deal With Unions on Health Care

Now, it's true...the article above appeared at FoxNews which I do think can be biased, but obviously not to the point of rendering reality into fantasy. This happened. Washington actually met with the union boys and cut a deal.

This, in and of itself, does not surprise me. Though I may only be a wee political babe, I understand that deals have be around since about five minutes after the pilgrims hit pay dirt at Plymouth Rock. This is the part I can't comprehend:

"...Democratic leaders are once again drawing fire from their critics for extending special treatment to an interest group in exchange for its support of the bill. "

What do you mean, support??? Is there like a fourth arm of the legislative process that I don't know about? A House of Unions or something?!! Do they eventually have to vote on the health bill? Like, do they rank up there with Nelson? I was really REALLY confused until I got to this part:

"The unions, traditional supporters of the Democratic Party and a major factor in Obama's political infrastructure, got a deal,... "

RIGHHHT! They didn't pay them for a health care vote, they paid them for an election vote...I get it now. This actually makes me hopeful now. See, the unions are just regular citizens like you and I...they're average American workers that need to be supported and taken care of. See how important the opinion of the American public is in this health care process! They want all the regular citizens to be in support of it! See! Obama even said as much the other night at the White House...

"I know how big a lift this has been, I see the polls," Obama told House Democrats assembled for their annual issues conference. "I know that the virtues of this legislation for Americans with insurance and Americans without it have been entirely obscured by fear and distraction. I also know what happens once we get this done, once we sign this bill into law. The American people will suddenly learn that this bill does things they like and doesn't do things that people have been trying to say it does. Their worst fears will prove groundless and the American people's hope for a fair shake from their insurance companies for quality, affordable health care they need will finally be realized."

But wait. The union citizens didn't have to wait until it was all done so that they could suddenly learn what a great deal this bill is... Aren't their fears groundless?... Why were their groundless concerns heard and then acted on instead of having to wait for their fair shake?

Confusion sets in again.

0 comments on "Elusive Branch?"

Post a Comment